Tuesday, November 15, 2011

ECST 2011 - Second Stop: Savannah

After spending a great weekend with friends in Jacksonville, my friend Scottie and I drove to Savannah, GA! It was quite a drive from North Carolina to Georgia, but we were both so excited to get to our destination and we sang so much in the car that the time seemed to fly! We stopped in Myrtle Beach, SC because neither of us had been there before so we wanted to stop and put our toes in the water. 

Palm Trees on Myrtle Beach, SC

Toes in the water!

The beach at Sunset

Scottie checking out the jellyfish!

Don't touch these! The Jellyfish can sting! I know from experience!

I love these waves!

Myrtle Beach = the Land of condos and surf shops.

Back on the road and viewing sunset clouds.  We could only stop for a minute because
we had to get to Savannah!

After we arrived in Savannah, we met with Suzi!

The next morning, Scottie and I visited a cooking store.  I think this mustache is awesome!

Cycad City!

Me and Suzi! Great friends!

Forsyth Park Fountain

Scottie loves that Spanish moss as much as I do!

Wedding Cake Mansion

Suzy and Scottie in front of Colonial Park Cemetery

We found Edward G. Malbone's grave in Colonial Park Cemetery.  He is the central figure in my thesis! After visiting the cemetery, we walked over to the Telfair Academy Museum and the Jepson Center to see if they had any portrait miniatures on view, and alas, they were in the vault, but I still found some great info on what they had in their collection so I didn't feel that it was a total loss.

Later we went to the Telfair Academy Museum and it's sister site, the Jepson Center.  At the later, we found a wonderful children's area called, ArtZeum.  There were so many wonderful and enriching activities for kids.  I took away some exciting ideas to incorporate into what we can do at 612!

How about a lesson on the orders of architecture anyone?
What kind of capital does Scottie have on his head?
(answer: Doric)

Therman Statom's Untitled (Glass House) inside the ArtZeum. So cool!

Last night SAS (Scottie,  Amy, Suzy) went to dinner at Sapphire Grill in Savannah and it was delicious! I highly recommend it! 

Prahhhhhhlines for desert!

Jepson Center!

I love that you can walk down the street in Savannah and peak into other people's gardens!

We visited Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room for lunch today and it was my first time.  So glad we got in. The line was just too long yesterday, but it would have been worth the wait.  Sooooo deeeeelicious!

12 hours later and I'm still full!

Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room

These downspouts are all over Savannah.

Sweet Scottie

We drove out to Bonaventure Cemetery today because I thought Scottie and Suzy had to see it.
It really is beautiful.

We found Johnny Mercer's grave! He's a famous Savannah man and
was a brilliant musician and songwriter!


I just thought this was a beautiful funeral sculpture.

Little Gracie is a little spooky!

On our drive from Savannah to Charleston, Scottie and I stopped in Beaufort to find the house where my grandparents lived during WWII.  Paw-Paw was stationed on Parris Island and this is where they lived before they had my dad. The name of the home is the "Tidal Home" and the Big Chill was filmed here, along with the Great Santini.

What a view from the Tidal Home!

It's been a great day but now it's time to call it a night! Looking forward to tomorrow.  Research at the Gibbes Museum is the first order of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment