Sunday, November 13, 2011

ECST 2011 - First Stop: Jacksonville, NC

On Friday morning, I woke up, went to eat breakfast with James and Romy and then they took me to the airport. It was the perfect way to start my adventure...with lots of laughs. I'm so grateful for friends who are willing to help me out! Plus they're just awesome people. After a day of travel, I was so happy to get to Jacksonville! It's been great to see Braden. We've celebrated his birthday and veterans day and yesterday we went to a beach in Emerald Isle, NC right before sunset. It was beautiful! There is just something about being near the water that calms me. Add that to the fact that the closer I get to the Low Country, the more at peace I seem to be and you've got a happy me. Today my friend Scottie and I are road tripping from here to Savannah and I am so excited that it feels like Christmas! Not only are we going to see wonderful things, traveling along Highway 17 to get from Jacksonville to Savannah, but we're also going to see my best friend from the 8th grade on, Suzy!!!! She's going to meet us in that gorgeous, garden filled, Georgia city!

After we returned from our trip to the beach and dinner last night, I stayed up until about 1am studying and preparing for what I'll get to see in these museum collections I'm visiting. Have to get that studying in! The funny thing is that I found myself just as excited about seeing these portrait miniatures as I am the people and sites I'm experiencing on this trip. I was also excited about what I'm learning so I didn't realize how late it was when I finally stopped reading and writing. I'm so fortunate to be able to do this!!! The truth is, you can research and research all you want about an artist or a work of art, but until you really observe it and take it in, it's difficult to write about it. You have to let the art guide the writing. At least that's the method that resonates with me. Every detail, every observation, even down to the brush stroke or stipple means something. So I have to experience these portrait miniatures as closely as possible. I need to drink in every detail so that I don't miss anything. Some I won't be able to see because they are in private collections or they aren't on view, but I'm going to do my best to view whatever I can in person. In addition, the more I read, the more I realize that I need to go to Boston too, so there may be another trip in the works. In the meantime, I'm just going to work as hard as I can with what I'll have after this trip!

Here are some pics from my stay in Jacksonville. I've loved it here, but I'm excited for the journey through small, South Carolina towns we'll experience today and I'm really looking forward to Savannah and Suzy!

I sure love this Veteran! Me & B!

My friend Scottie took this one by the pool!

We stopped at a little place on the way to the beach called Harrika's Brew Haus. Click on the name to check it out! It was a really neat place.  They have live music every Friday night and so many different kinds of beer! I got some tea because they have a great selection of those as well.  Plus it's a little chilly this time of year!

I caught this one while Braden was driving us over a bridge.  I call it "Sunset Fishing."

Walking Down to the Emerald Isle beach.

Footprints

At the Beach!

Couple Fishing

My beautiful friend Scottie came too!

Sunset

Me & B Shadows

I love sailboats.

I could only eat half of this, but man those crab legs were delicious!!!! You have to eat some seafood when you're on the east coast. Not eating it would be a sin. :)

Driving back home, we found a Christmas festival in Swansboro, NC.  Ummm has Thanksgiving passed? Did I miss it??? I have to admit it was beautiful, but really????

Scottie and I had a little fun in one of the gift shops in Swansboro. Haha! Mine's on the right. And just to clarify, Scottie was kidding.

Sweet and beautiful little town


Now it's time to ROAD TRIP!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment