Friday, December 9, 2011

Rezoning and Thesis Proposal Week!

This has been a crazy week, but it's been a great week! I gave my thesis proposal presentation to my committee and the head of the art history graduate department on Wednesday.  I have to say that it didn't go a well as I'd hoped, but as long as my revised and resubmitted proposal is accepted, I will pass and can get started on writing my thesis.  It's not that I wasn't prepared.  I had worked harder and read more than I ever have in the past for a paper, but I quickly realized as I was presenting that I hadn't been asking the right questions and I hadn't been focusing on the correct ideas.  I also hadn't done a very good job with my written proposal, so I needed a lot of redirection but that's what that presentation and time is for.  I needed the suggestions that everyone gave and I am grateful for the chance to resubmit.  Admittedly, after all of that work, I was a little disappointed that I didn't do a better job.

I was actually pretty sad that evening and yesterday morning, but I didn't have time to be sad.  I had to get myself together and get up to City Hall for our rezoning meeting with the OKC Planning Commission.  James had presented the day before to the Historic Preservation Commission with the request for support in our hopes to rezone Sixtwelve from residential to Urban Design.  We had a SPUD (Special Planned Unit Development) request that includes all kinds of things.  We dreamed as big as we could when we were asking for things.  Not only did Historic Preservation lend their support and approval, so did the City Planning Commission.  In fact, they did it in under a minute!

James had invited the planning commissioner from our Ward (Ward 2) to walk through the building previous to this meeting.  He told her about all of the plans that we had for our building and lot and she was so supportive. Yesterday we waited about 2 and 1/2 hours for our turn to present, but when James got up to speak, our commissioner asked a couple questions, told the rest of the commission that what we wanted to do there was really cool and then they voted on it.  It was passed unanimously!!!  I'm so excited!

James told me that we have to take it to the city council now but that will be the last step and he said that it usually happens pretty quickly so we'll see how it goes, but I have a good feeling about it.  I'm so proud of James and all that he has accomplished for us.  I'm also really grateful that so many people in the city offices and commissions are supporting our dream.  It's making this really fun and I'm just thrilled! Oh and I'm feeling much better about the thesis proposal.  I know what I need to do now so I'm just going to redirect my efforts and I think I'l have a pretty great paper! It helps to know that what James and I are doing  is finding success, but I don't want to miss out on any of the opportunities to learn while I'm still in school either.  It's easy to get a little overwhelmed sometimes, but I know that I can do this.  I just need to work hard and I'll get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment