Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekend Whirlwind: Visit with Family, Earth to Urban Opening, A Little Dancing, Basketball and Research!

On Friday, James and I took off to Duuuuurant, to take the suburban I borrowed for Harvest back to my grandfather and to get my car back.  We spent the night so that I could spend a little time with Paw-Paw (it's never enough time) and so that I could see Jenny, Sam and Gaius.  Fun night!



We drove back on Saturday so that we could attend the Earth to Urban opening and what a great place! It's located on 2nd Street, just to the north of the old Farmer's Market. The Urban Agrarian and Earth Elements Farm and Kitchen have teamed up to create a market/public space/incubator kitchen that encourages and supports local food and community.  Of course, James and I are excited about a place like this in OKC! It's such a great time to be focusing on creativity and sustainability in OKC because everyone wants to see each other succeed and we wall want to do whatever we can to help.  I've been finding that we are seeing the same people at the OKC sustainability events.  Some are more focused on buildings and structures and some are more focused on food and animals, but for the most part, everyone is on the same page.  I can't tell you how many people came up to me at the opening and said that they wanted to help.  I'm touched, blessed and honored because these are great people.  Here are some pics from the evening...

A great place for a party!

The band 13 Seeds was rocking us all out!

Looking towards the back

The Kitchen!

At the entry to the space

Outside in Front

After we left Earth to Urban, we went to Pachinko Parlor for a little Secret Society Dance Party!!!

Patrick and Nikki were getting down!


Yesterday, I went to the opening for the new Stuart Wing at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art at OU and I found it to be a beautiful new house for University's portion of the Adkins Collection.  I'm so happy for OU and for anyone that has the pleasure of visiting.  It's world class! The Adkins Collection is an important Western Art Collection and we're lucky to have it.  I also love that Rand Elliott, a local architect with wide acclaim, designed the new wing.  If you get a chance to visit, go! You won't regret the time you spend at the FJJMA!

After I left the Museum, I scooted back up to OKC so I could meet up with my friends Preston, Robby, Whitney, Kristen and Jones.  We went to Republic to eat and then off to the US Fleet Tracking Basketball Invitational.  All the proceeds went to charities of the players' choice and it was fun! We were able to see Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and more tearing it up on the court! This is great because with the lock out happening right now, we don't knowhow much basketball we'll get to see this season.  I hope we get to see a lot, but you never know what's going to happen.  Hope it gets worked out soon.

We had great seats at the Cox Convention Center!

So glad Whitney could join us!

Love these guys!

After I got home, I was welcomed with one AWESOME piece of news.  The author and curator I wrote about in my last post emailed me back and she's going to be able to meet with me when I take my east coast research tour for my thesis! I'm so freaking excited!!!! Life just gets better and better!


No comments:

Post a Comment