Sunday, October 2, 2011

Last Day of the Cleanse!

It's day 21! Woooohoooo! I have to admit there have been some challenges.  For someone who never really thought that much about cutting out gluten or animal products (cheese and milk included) I had to be really aware. Letting go of sugar was letting go of an addiction and I know that it will be something I have to watch the rest of my life.  The greatest hurdle to jump, however, was the alcohol.  I live (and love) a very social life.  I tend to thrive on spending time with people and when you're gathering for fun, a project or supporting something in your community, you can usually find alcohol there too.  And I love wine...oh and cheese too! So that's what I'm looking forward to being able to have tomorrow.

But I feel good and I want to continue on this path that I've started down.  I have loved cooking at home and being more in tune with my body.  I can feel even the slightest changes in my blood sugar and know what to do to counteract them.  I have more time in my week due to the lack of time needed for recovery after a night out on the town.  I'm more at peace, even when I feel an emotional reaction to something that hurts.  I sleep better (asleep at 10pm and up at 7:30am without an alarm going off).  My skin is clearer.  My eyes are clearer.  My hair has more body. I'm not as bloated or poofy in the face.  I think more clearly and can focus for longer periods of time.  My shoulder sockets don't hurt with arthritis like they used to and I've lost 10 pounds!!! Somehow having the will power to do this cleanse has helped me to realize that I have the self discipline to do other good things for myself. I want to love and take care of myself.

So I think I'll have some wine tomorrow and I know I'm going to have fun at the bluegrass festival that's coming up in a couple of weeks.  Some friends of mine and I are going over my birthday! Wooohooo! But I think I'll save the drink for special occasions and continue to eat well.  It just feels good.  It's no longer a "I have to do this."  I want to do this.  And who knows? In addition to feeling good and knowing that I'm taking care of myself, maybe one of the benefits will be seeing myself looking even better than I did in my 20s.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment