Monday, August 8, 2011

New Door! (Which is Really the Old One!)

This past Saturday I received an email from James.  He's off galavanting around Cali with friends and gathering ideas for 612! His dad had gone by the building and found that our front door was finished. I'm so excited!  It's the original door and it required a lot of work but the guy who did it, Troy, is just amazing at what he does. The whole center area of the door was empty.  He had to reconstruct the wooden mullions and transoms (or is the word I'm looking for "muntins?") and Wewoka Window Works (the company that built our awesome historically accurate windows) put in the glass.  Troy also had to reconstruct the sides of the door. He did a great job.  WWW is the company that suggested we work with Troy and boy have we gotten lucky.  I couldn't have asked for better working relationships with both WWW and Troy! (Side Note: Dennis and Troy both make me giggle a lot and they're always respectful.)

We also reused the original hardware (locks, door handle, etc.).  Even after the talk about how much cheaper it would be to just recreate a new door, we knew we had to have the original one.  I mean, if you've got the fabric right there and you are really dedicated to preserving history, you have to use the original door! You have to! Plus, I don't know if we could create one as beautiful as this.

There is just going to be something about touching the same door and handle and lock that people did in 1929 when the building was built.  Entering 612 in the same way that people did for so many years will connect us to our past and those that lived there...and to our future, all at the same time.  I love it!

I wish I had taken a picture of what it looked like before but we've got video footage of it and when we get the door painted, we'll have all we need for a "door video podcast".  It will be out sometime soon.

Here's a picture of what it looks like right now! Isn't it a beauty???!!! I'm so grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment