Friday, July 8, 2011

Excited About Next Week's Gig at the OKCMOA - "The Jones" at Cocktails on the Skyline!

Next Thursday night the group of people I put together to perform at the Paseo Arts Festival (minus the very talented Alan Orebaugh and plus the awesome Steve Schaben) will have a gig at the Oklahoma City Museum of art for their weekly/seasonal event, Cocktails on the Skyline.  I'm really looking forward to it, not only because I worked there for three and 1/2 years and love that place, but also because it's a great place to play! I always have fun on the roof and so does most everyone else!

In preparation for this gig, I haven't faced the same issues I've had in the past.  After taking piano lessons, violin lessons, voice lessons or some other form of music training (choir, etc) from the time I was in the third grade until I graduated with a music degree from OU, I've developed ways of doing things (usually burned on my brian by my teachers, instructors, professors).  I have been taught to practice for months and months on a regular basis and there is great value in that. However, I have realized over the past few years of singing here and there that professional gigging musicians don't always work like that.  They definitely practice (and I have too), but because they are playing so many shows on a regular basis, they don't have time to meet once a week for months and months to practice.  Everyone kind of just has to prepare on their own and then the week before a show, get together to work out chord charts and make sure they're all on the same page.

Then you just hit the ground running! In the past, I haven't had the confidence that I could live up to the caliber of my brother Tom Young, Justin Morris, Alan Orebaugh, Steve Baker, Steve Schaben, Jon Knudson, Sara Garner, Jesse Porterfield and all of the other wonderful musicians that I was singing with.  I knew they wouldn't have any trouble with the process, but I wanted to make sure I was carrying my end of the deal too.  I would always get really nervous before shows and I'm ashamed to say that I have even shed some tears. But through talks and giving me the chance to work with them, these guys have been really patient and have helped me to understand how things work.  And by doing it more often, my confidence has grown.

So now, instead of worrying about how the show will go, I'm just really looking forward to getting to make music with these people and to the experience as a whole. I'm now sure that I can join in, contribute in a great way and have a lot of fun in the process.  I'm so lucky to have these opportunities to express myself and grow through music.  It's a huge release for me and makes a big difference in my outlook.  I love music so much and I'm really, really grateful for the amazing and talented people I get to work with.

So come see us next Thursday night on the roof of the Museum.  It's going to be a lot of fun!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment