Friday, September 30, 2011

Strong and Brilliant Women

Me and Romy at IAO

Me and Chandra at the Pixies!

Suzy and Me in NYC

Jenny, Me and Mom in Savannah
Pie-Pee and Me


Yesterday was extraordinary.  I realized at multiple points in the day that I was in the company of or communicating with strong and brilliant women.  It was interesting to see them all at different stages of life and to hear the things that were on their minds.  It was also really nice to see their accomplishments because it inspires me.  It helps me to realize that if I stick to the course I'm on now, I can do it too. I'm consistently challenging myself to do things I've never done before in order to accomplish growth. It's scary to shake things up and see where you fall, but it's important. These women understood what it took to make things happen for our communities and I'm sure that each one of them had faced fears of their own. My dad told me once that he and mom had raised my sister and me to be strong women and in some ways, I'm just beginning to understand what he meant.

At lunchtime I met with the other ladies on the committee for the Paseo Artist Awards. During the meeting, I remembered how scared I was last year, my first year on the committee.  I was so honored to be asked to join that I wanted to do whatever I could to help us make the awards special, especially for the award winners, but having never done anything like that before, I was a little stressed out. This year, I know what to do so I think I can not only make improvements, I can also enjoy the process.  The women at that table were all very kind and professional and we all agreed, after the awards ceremony, that it was one of the most fun committees we'd ever served on.  Plus the event felt magical so we were all happy.  I think that's what happens when everyone in the group is capable and congenial.  It's easy.  That's the kind of working environment I want!

After lunch, I had the pleasure of meeting with a lady in Norman who started a gallery/studio/event space.  We talked about her goals and ideas and it really helped me to realize that I'm not alone in my dreams.  It also helped to talk to someone who had already done what I want to do!  I'm grateful for this new friend.

Next up on the schedule for the day was finishing a reference letter for one of my favorite professors.  She totally deserves the award for which I was recommending her.  She's a great woman and teacher.  When I took the letter to her, we got to talk a little and, as always, laugh a lot.  And then it hit me, I've surrounded myself with strong women because I want to continue to be strong myself.  We tend to pull together because we need each other's support in order to accomplish even more.  Even at a going away party I went to last night, I had the privilege of talking to someone I really respect.  It was like the icing on the cake!  

So I want to thank all of the strong women in my life, for showing me that great things can be accomplished and for helping me to have faith in myself.  There are a lot of men to thank as well, but this one's for the ladies! 

Thank you Mom, Jenny, Pie-Pee, Maw-Maw, Camille, Elizabeth, Ann, Suzy, Romy, Chandra, Anne, Nicole, Alison, Carolyn, Diane, Sharon, Leslie, Jennifer, Susan, Alison, Allison, Whitney, Adrienne, Robbie, Tiffany, B.C. (Shannon), Jennifer, Amber, Julia, Stephanie, Tracey, Melissa, Sammi, Netha, Jaimie, Melynda, Joy, Jane, Jo, Mary, Kristen, Whitney, TiTi, Marilyn, Ashley, Kelsey, Megan, Colleen, Claire, Kat, Britton, Erin, Jessie, Kenzie, Courtney, Kayti, Katie, Teri, Jen, Jennifer, Stephanie, Erin, Andrea Karen, Kara Joy..this list could go on and on and I'm sure I've left people out.  This is just me rambling...but you can be sure I'll sneak back in here and add people as they come to my mind.  I just really appreciate the example and encouragement you've all given me just by being who you are and taking the time to be my friend. 

4 comments:

  1. Love you, friend. You are an awesome and amazing woman. I am proud and honored to be one of your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly the same way about you! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an honor to be your friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks Kristen. Love you too girl!

    ReplyDelete