Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Yoga!



One of the things that I would really like to see happen at Sixtwelve is for us to have a yoga class, especially for kids. I'm definitely not considering myself a yogi yet, but I've been going more often and figuring out what type of class I like best.  Last night, Kristen and I went to a hot yoga class here in OKC and it was quite the experience. Even in regular classes, I'm the beginner and the one that needs extra attention and that's ok.  I don't mind because I feel good just practicing yoga and doing something wonderful for myself. I love the fact that I feel a little more flexible in that heat, but I have to take breaks every now and then, return to child's pose and catch my breath because I end up feeling like I'm going to pass out. I think I just need to drink more water, but I also need to work on reaching goals that I set for myself.

So what are my goals? I can already reach my toes (see photo) but that's just because I have really short legs! :) The following list contains the things I'd like to be able to do.

1. Focus on my breath to a point where it seems second nature.
2. Diminish my belly fat so that it's out of the way, allowing me to twist and bend in ways that allow for the more advanced poses. ( I can't yet contort my body into pretzels. Haha!) Right now if I can do one pose each class that I couldn't do before, or if I can hold a pose longer than I did before, I feel like I've accomplished something great.
3. Increase strength
4. Increase flexibility
5. Make it all the way through a class, doing all of the poses.

I'm sure that I will discover other goals, but for now, I think these will keep me challenged. I'm just glad that I'm on this journey because in the process of improvement, I'm finding more peace, and isn't that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment