Sunday, February 12, 2012

Moving to Savannah in 17 Days!

Life in OKC is wonderful.  I love so many things about it.  We have a thriving art community; our economy has been praised by magazines, such as Forbes, over the past few years; my group of friends here are incredible and I'm finding that there is never a dull moment with all of the opportunities to serve our city and state.  There is always something fun to do!

It's been difficult, however, to focus on my thesis and that has to be priority number one! So I'm moving to Savannah, Georgia. I found the cutest apartment in the historic district and I'll be there for the month of March.  I have a little more research to do at the Gibbes Museum in Charleston, SC and that's only two hours away, so I'll be able to take care of that while living in a place where I don't know a soul. I won't have committee or board meetings, fundraisers, Sixtwelve, Oklahoma Food Coop, art openings, awards ceremonies, festival and event planning, parties or dinners with friends.

That could sound a little sad, but I'm actually looking forward to it because I know I'll be able to get down to business and feed my passion.  I am in love my thesis topic and Savannah too.  I have a feeling that instead of being lonely, I'll find even more strength in being alone.  That's an incredibly good thing.  I'm pretty happy already, but I know that more confidence brings more peace and that can't be anything but good news for the things that I want to accomplish with my life.

I'm already looking for a yoga studio within walking distance from my apartment.  My goal is to go to yoga, walk all over the historic district, read, write, eat well, sleep well and take care of myself as much as possible every day while I'm there. (I think I might also grow out my bangs.) Oh and I plan on listening to some great music too. Wynton Marsalis and his band are giving a concert the night I arrive.  I bought two tickets, not even knowing who I'll give the other one to. I always buy two tickets when I'm going to things, knowing that someone will take the other one, but this is the first time I've ever done that when planning to be out of town and by myself.  I just have faith that I will be making new friends while I'm there. James had thought about going with me and staying a few days, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen so I'm excited to find out who I'll be sitting next to in the theater.  I think it will be a fine welcome to that gorgeous, southern belle of a city.

Between all of the rest, surrounding beauty, progress on my thesis and taking care of myself, I think I'll not only come back with a great thesis, but I'll also be looking and feeling better than ever.  It's like I'm sending myself away to Camp Amy and there is no better place than Savannah. I'm really, really excited! Here are a few more pictures of this magical city, taken during previous visits over the years.


Low Country sunsets are gorgeous!

Mercer House on Monterey Square (This is where Jim Williams, from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, lived.)
This house is one block from my apartment.  I'm almost on the corner of Monterey Square and only two blocks north of Forsyth Park!

I love the architecture in this city! Love it!!!!

The newest museum in the Telfair Museum group - Jepson Center. 

Scottie and Suzy liked walking around the squares too!

Jones Street is my favorite.

Antiques are everywhere!

1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly dating girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

    If you would rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy bars and nightclubs...

    Then I encourage you to watch this eye-opening video to find out a weird little secret that has the potential to get you your very own harem of hot women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete