Thursday, February 2, 2012

Patience + Hard Work

Yesterday was one of those days when I woke up and I had to make a choice.  Would I lament over the fact that I had three meetings to attend and that I would not get to read for my thesis or spend time alone? Or would I seek out the opportunities for happiness and spread some joy.  I chose door number two and I'm so happy that I did.  It was a beautiful day, so that really helped, and as I moved through my busy schedule, I realized that because everything I was doing related to Sixtwelve, the future, furthering the arts in Oklahoma, and that I was meeting with people I really liked, I could enjoy the business.  So what did my day involve? Here we go...

James and I walked to Red Cup for breakfast.  We talked about Sixtwelve and life all the way there. The warmth of the day was unseasonable and the sun was shining. I could feel that oxygen flow through my body and it felt good. While we were eating some yummy goodness, we discussed the next steps we need to take and continued the meeting while walking back to my house.



Afterwards, I drove over to Picasso Cafe and had lunch with Casey Friedman of Acoustic Oklahoma.  We had our first meeting about music for the Paseo Arts Festival. I'm really excited about this because I know that we are going to work well together.  Casey has done so much to promote Oklahoma musicians and it thrills me (I'm serious, I get chills when I think about it!) that he's organizing Acoustic Oklahoma nights at Picasso Cafe.  I think it's a perfect fit for the Paseo and will compliment what we do at the festival perfectly!

After we finished that meeting, I took about a 30 minute break, watched a little "How I Met Your Mother" on Netfilx and then headed out the door for Stroud, Oklahoma.  I had an Oklahoma Alliance for Art Education board meeting at the Territory Cellars.  It was great to see everyone AND I learn so much about board and committee meeting procedures when I attend. I know that might not sound like the most exciting thing in the world, but when you're trying to learn how to start a non-profit, this is the best kind of experience you can have. We started talking about some great ideas for workshops for teachers too, relating to the arts and Common Core, so I know that I've got great opportunities to learn things that will help teachers and students in the future.  I'm honored to be a part of it!

When I finally arrived back home in OKC, I was exhausted, but it was a day well spent and I enjoyed every single second of it because of the people that I was able to see, talk to, text with, and serve. I know that if I'm patient with all that I have going on and I take it one day and one moment at a time, I'll be able to enjoy all of the tasks at hand. And seriously, I'm honored that I have the opportunity to work and further my vision for this world. I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment