Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gardening, Cooking and Eating Together

James sent me a link to a great blog entry in the New York Times Opinion Section.  It's about returning to a more agrarian society, much like the founding fathers envisioned. It's also about the benefits of kids gardening and eating together.  I believe in this and I know I've written about it before. As James would say, it's just exciting to see that it's part of a collective consciousness.  We aren't the only ones thinking that this would be a good idea! And I know we won't be the only ones doing this, which is a great thing.

We want more people to do this because it is good for them! None of the ideas we have are all that original, but we aren't trying to take credit for them.  We're just trying to encourage people to do it.  Even if we weren't able to have a garden, I think it would still be good to sit down, eat a meal together and then clean up together as well.  I gained so much from this when I was growing up.  When my family ate meals together, we talked, discussed issues, told stories, laughed and had so much fun.  I know that's why I still don't really love to eat alone.  I miss the connections and fun!  I believe kids need that too.

p.s. We've decided on a name for the school and I'm thrilled because it's what I've wanted all along.  I just wanted to make sure that the other people on board were ok with it.  I think I'll wait until the next post to make the announcement, though.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment