Sunday, January 20, 2013

What a Week!

This past week was incredible!!! The month of January just keeps getting better and better!

I had lunch with Louisa and went to the Paseo Education Development Committee meeting on Monday. We're working on coming up with some great things to do for Edgemere Elementary and Harding Fine Arts School. That night, James and I celebrated with Romy at Cheever's because she received one of the five spots in OVAC's Art 365 exhibition that will take place in 2014. This is a huge and exciting opportunity for Romy and I couldn't be more thrilled for her! All five artists selected receive $12,000 and work with a nationally recognized curator to create innovative works. This year, they work with Raechell Smith from the Kansas City Art Institute. Yay for Romy and my friend Bryan Cook, who was also accepted. So happy for them!

On Tuesday, I enjoyed lunch with Joy downtown at Kitchen No. 324. Not only was the food delicious, but the decor was smart. I loved it. Can't wait to go back and try another tasty dish.

Kitchen No. 324


Wednesday might have been the high point of the week. Every day was good, but this one was extra special. I found out that morning that I was accepted into the Oklahoma Arts Council's Leadership Arts Class for 2013!!! This is going to be such a great thing for me because it will help me to better understand what it means to be an arts leader and an arts advocate in this state. I need all of the free (and good) advice I can get, because I want to contribute in meaningful ways to SixTwelve and to the arts in Oklahoma. So, so, so, so grateful!!!

We also held our first SixTwelve board meeting on Wednesday! Woooohooo!!! It was so fun to get everyone together and to get to know each other. I had the idea of trying to prepare the food myself and tried to get as much of it locally as I could. I wanted everything to represent our goals at 612. So I bought a salad an antipasto platter from The Wedge. I know that's not exactly "preparing the food myself," but if you've tried that platter, you understand. It's just sooooo good! I bought the chicken, pasta and some veggies from Urban Agrarian, and some hors d'oeuvres and brownies from the The Prairie Gypsies in Paseo. So I should say that I really didn't prepare any of the food myself. Haha! I would have been responsible for the main dish, but Tracey Zeeck and James took that over when people started arriving so that I could greet them. Oh well, at least I can organize...and at least the food was delicious.

After dinner, we held the business part of the meeting and it went well! Everyone signed their board commitment form and we talked about all kinds of ideas. It was crazy to finally experience what I had envisioned and imagined for so long. I know now that taking all of that time to get to know our community and the people in it before choosing board members really payed off. I'm really grateful for all of the people I'm going to get to work with!

James - Sharing the Dream

Tracey, Arif and Trey - Listening Intently 

Ron and Tracey - We're going to do great things!

We held the Oklahoma Food Cooperative's delivery day INSIDE of 612 for the first time on Thursday.

Oklahoma Food Coop Delivery Day at Paseo Pick Up Site


What a great experience! I can't believe how fast the renovations are going now. If you blink you might miss each step. Not only has work continued on the inside, but we also had all of the concrete around the building demolitioned, moved to a big pile because we're going to reuse what we can in building other concrete structures this next week and dirt moved to create the foundation for the stage area on the west side of the building.

All of the concrete is now gone, including that little patio near the back end of the building.

This is where they moved it! This was done in two days by three men. Crazy!

On Friday, I ate breakfast with Romy, lunch with Farooq, and had a drink at Louie's (Midtown) for happy hour with friends. In between all of these fun meetings, I have been researching for the creation of the preschool, The Young School! I am really excited about getting this organized and planned out. My guess is that we will start the school in January, but if the building is ready this fall (as James thinks it might be), I need to be ready then! I know it all takes as long as it takes, but I am getting anxious (in a good way) to work and to see my dreams realized. It's happening!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment