Sunday, April 1, 2012

Packing!

I can't believe that it's already time to start packing for my return to Oklahoma. The time seems to have flown, as it always does when you love what you're doing. James made his way to Charleston this past week and I picked him up after getting some work done. We visited the Avery Research Center, found a rooftop bar after the center closed, and then came back to Savannah. We've had a pretty relaxing and quiet time here, thanks to my studying. We did, however, get out on Friday to eat lunch at Miss Wilke's Dining Room. Can you say "YUUUUUMMMMMYYYY!?!?" Here are a couple of pictures to prove it. :)


Everyone eats family style in this place! All the food comes out at one time and you just pass the bowls and platters. Southern home cookin' is my favorite. 

Glutony, I know, but I ate it all. So delicious.

We also attended the Zydeco Dance Party show with the Savannah Music Festival a couple of nights ago and that was FUN! I think I'm going to download some of that music to exercise too. It gets me going! Nathan Williams and the Zydeco Cha Chas know how to get people dancing!



I feel that this has been the most beneficial trip I've taken in a long time. I got a LOT of work done for my thesis. It's not completely finished, but that's because I still have some information to gather this week and then synthesize it into my writing. It will happen. While working here, I've found a confidence in myself and my abilities that I didn't have before.  Not only am I fine by myself, I almost prefer it when I'm focussed on something so important. I have made friends here, but outside of my landlady, Carol, there isn't anyone here that I have seen on a regular basis or that I've made the effort to spend time with. I've been busy studying! I've also realized that you can't spend your time worrying about failure. You have to just keep working as hard as you can. It's really the only antedate to stress for me right now...well that and yoga.

I have loved the music I've been able to experience and the food too, but most of all, I have enjoyed my own company.  I like it. I'm happy with it. And as much as I love my friends and family back home, I have a feeling that I'll be spending a lot more time alone over the next month because I have to finish strong. I can't let all of the hard work go to waste! I won't let it go to waste. So until the first week of May is over, it may still feel to some that I'm gone. But that's ok. I'm doing what I need to do. My time is my time and if people don't understand then they aren't a true friend. I guess the biggest sign of growth is that I am fine with saying, "no," to people and I realize that I don't owe an explanation for my choices to anyone outside of my family and thesis committee. Seriously, that's it! I have a feeling that those are the exact people who would encourage this kind of thinking, so I'm not worried about it. The people I love and that I know love me will continue to be patient until I can resurface.

There will be time for a little fun too. I've learned here that you have to keep a balance. You can't work all of the time because it doesn't do your work any good if you continually push, push, push and eliminate breaks. In all forms of work and creativity, a break helps you to process and to come up with new ideas. I think of it as a time to "percolate."  And there will be time that I just take for myself too, even when I'm not working, because a big part of being at peace is being still.

The best thing about protecting your time is that when you give it, you really want to give it. You don't feel any resentment, as if people are taking it from you. You can give it freely and that's always a better situation for everybody, but I'm telling everyone right now that I will not be as available as I have been in the past, and that might not ever end. It's time for me to take control of my life and that starts by taking control of my time. I love people and want to always be open to the possibility of being used to meet people's needs, but I realize that my hopes, dreams, objectives and goals are just as important for me and my community as anyone else's, so there has to be balance.

I'm more than grateful for the time I've spent and for everything I've learned here in Savannah and Charleston. It's not over yet, so I'm going to sit right in the middle of this moment and enjoy it up to the last second, but because I have to clean and pack to get ready to leave, I have to face the fact that this chapter is closing. Outside of home or wherever my family is, this is my favorite place.  This is where I would choose to be, and who knows? Maybe I'll just retire here someday. One thing I know for sure is that I will be back soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment