Sunday, January 24, 2010

School Will Be In Session




So the big plan for the apartment building will not only be to provide some awesome living spaces. When I quit teaching elementary school music in 2004, I did so to go back to school for art history with the intention of opening my own school for kids...one where people could learn about art, music, video, cooking, poetry, drama....anything creative, and anything that I could find teachers for.


So I left teaching and went back to school, but before I could finish my degrees (bachelors and masters in Art History) I was offered a job at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art as an education curator. At first I thought that this would be a distraction from the original plan and that I wasn't qualified for it. But I realized the second time they offered it to me that I could do that job. It took me a good year and a half to really understand what I was doing, but I got it eventually. And I'm so glad that I did. Learning how to do my job there has been and will continue to be the preparation that I need for opening the school up here in Oklahoma City!

James really had encouraged me (and I know that he has guided my thinking too...in a good way) to envision working with the museum, but I don't yet know how that's going to work out. I'm trying to devise a plan for presenting my ideas to the board, to where we could work together. I have a feeling that they aren't going to want to do that because this will be my business and not theirs. We'll figure it out somehow. I just want to do something that allows me to do what I love (work with kids of all ages...including senior adults) and to provide a community based learning experience.

I'm going to be posting ideas for things along the way. In fact, that's the reason for this blog. I want to document the progress of the building project, but I also want a place where I can keep my ideas for future learning opportunities when I discover them!

So today I was looking at Vimeo (a site that James and Kyle turned me on to) and I see this:


Wouldn't it be cool if the school could have connections with people from all over the globe and have a jam session like that through skype or some other format of communication?

No comments:

Post a Comment