Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Charleston!

I've been back in Charleston since Monday, researching at the Gibbes Museum of Art. The people there have been so welcoming and generous! It's also been really fun to finally see, in person, the pieces I've been researching! After reading so much about them, it's a bit like meeting movie stars. I know about their love lives, their work lives and the wars they endured. I now know so much about Charleston's history too. I connect to the people who are portrayed on these little portrait miniatures and think about how they felt. I also think about Edward Greene Malbone and how his talent and amiable spirit allowed him to document the history of cities with such beauty, style and grace. I can see why so many people wanted him to paint their portrait.  To see them all together in this box has me imaging how those that knew each other interacted and went about their days. It's always comforting to me, whatever I'm going through, to think that I'm not alone in what I feel, and to know that, throughout time, others have had the same hopes and dreams for love and happiness.



I only get so many hours each day because people on staff have to be there while I'm working and they have a small staff so I work when they are not in meetings and away from their desks.  Yesterday I was able to work from 9:30am until 2:30 pm and I didn't want to waste a second, so I worked straight through without a break.  I was ready to rest when I left.  Today, because of meeting schedules, I might only be allowed to work from 11am-2pm so I'm going to make the most of it again. I'm just grateful for any time they can give, and yesterday the director of collections said that they would let me come back if I didn't finish so I am incredibly fortunate.

When I was through working yesterday, I ate a late lunch and then went back to the hotel to work/rest before meeting B & S for dinner.  I did get some pictures while I was out so I'll share them here! I think you'll be able to tell that I'm looking for inspiration for my flower boxes. :)




Broad Street

No comments:

Post a Comment